World Sickle Cell Day is celebrated on 19th June to raise awareness about this rare disorder. This disorder can damage liver, kidney, lungs, heart and spleen. The United Nations in 2008 decided to adopt a resolution to designate June 19th of every year as World Sickle Cell Awareness Day. It is found that more than 1, 20, 000 patients are diagnosed with Sickle Cell Disease and more than 44,000 children are born with sickle cell anaemia.
Some useful facts of Sickle Cell Day
- 1910 is regarded as the date of the discovery of sickle cell disease
- hereditary disease caused by hemoglobin S, therefore also called as Hemoglobin S Disease
- People with SCA (Sickle Cell Anemia) have abnormal protein in their red blood cell that results in sickle shaped RCBs
Symptoms: infections, delayed growth, and episodes of pain, called pain crises.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Try not to get too hot or too cold.
- Try to avoid places or situations with exposure to low oxygen levels or high altitudes (for example, mountain climbing or exercising extremely hard, such as in military boot camp or when training for an athletic competition).
- Regular hand-washing
- Careful food storage and preparation to avoid food poisoning
- Cooking meat thoroughly and avoiding unpasteurized dairy products
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Homeopathy adopts a holistic approach and treats the disease gently without any known side-effects in bringing additional benefits to patients.
- Homeopathy treats the root cause and individual susceptibility and eventually reduces the disease progression and complications.
- Homeopathic treatment is given keeping in mind the unique constitution of the patient.
- The homeopathic remedies act to strengthen the immune system of patient and thereby reducing infections.
- Pulsatilla Nigricans
- Chininum Sulphuricum
- Natrum Muriaticum
- Chininum Arsenicum
- Ferrum Metallicum
The day is celebrated to create awareness of this rare disorder through early diagnosis and other awareness programmes. On this day many activists, NGO’s and other support groups come together to find strategies to combat this disease. This disorder is found in amongst the tribal groups in India and prevalent in the states of Chattisgarh, Odisha, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu & Kerala. Diagnosing the disease early, creating awareness of the disease, counselling and using Homeopathic treatment are some of the methods through which this disease can be eliminated.
Leave a Comment